Counseling & Mental Health
Direct student services including:
- Facilitate school-wide programs like PBIS and Kids at Hope to help promote academic & social-emotional development.
- Weekly classroom SEL (social-emotional-learning) and character trait lessons with PurposeFull People.
- Bullying classroom lessons in the month of October: https://www.secondstep.org/bullying-prevention
- Small-group & 1:1 social skills instruction based on needs assessment.
- Emotion Regulation or Friendship groups
- Responsive service – Provide behavior support / de-escalation strategies as needed.
- Individual student planning – Assist students in evaluating interests, abilities, skills, goal setting based on academic & social-emotional data.
- Individual or small group counseling – short-term & solution/goal-focused counseling.
*School Counselors do not provide therapy, however, we are trained to refer to outside agencies.
Indirect student services including:
- Student Assistance Team (SAT)- Provide consultation/share strategies supporting student achievement with teachers, other educators & parents.
- Designing behavior support plans in collaboration with teachers, students, & parents when needed.
- Guidance for students and families to school or community resources for additional assistance and information.
PurposeFull People is the Richland School District's newly adopted social-emotional curriculum. This educational curriculum teaches skills that will help students be successful in school and in life. Download PurposeFull People overview for families.
PurposeFull People has three main goals for students: Be Kind, Be Strong, and Be Well.
- Be Kind: Social skills like listening, friendship, solving conflicts, and leadership.
- These skills are taught alongside Empathy, Respect, & Cooperation
- Be Strong: Skills that help students focus, stay organized, and set goals.
- These skills are taught alongside Responsibility, Courage, & Perseverance
- Be Well: Skills that help students handle their emotions and deal with stress.
- These skills are taught alongside Gratitude, Honesty, & Creativity